The latest from @TeamCinderWars on Instagram...

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Race Recap - 2014 Rock & Roll USA Half Marathon

In keeping with my goal to run one organized race a month in 2014, I took a stab at two new (to me) distance events. Both were right here in DC, which was a new experience to me, having only run out of town events in the past. The first was March 15's Rock & Roll USA (Half Marathon).

Flat Sara was ready to run St. Patrick's Day weekend!
The second of the Rock & Roll series races I've taken on (first was Philly back in September), I signed up for the Rock & Roll USA last fall, when I decided against the Nike Women's due to the high registration fee. When the course maps were released for both events in December, I wondered if the challenging, hilly course I'd run in R&R was worth the cheaper sticker price.

Promising myself that I would add hills to my training plan, I went back to worrying about surviving January's Dopey Challenge. After my first marathon experience, however, I made the unwise decision that I had trained enough, and could basically coast from that marathon into running the R&R USA two months later. Needless to say, no hill reps for me. Not training? Big mistake.

Seriously - check out the elevation changes around Mile 6. Are you kidding me?!
The expo was great. After feeling like I hadn't fully experienced the Disney expo in January (in favor of getting off our feet as soon as possible to rest up for those 48.6 miles), my mom and I took it easy through the DC Armory, stopping to look for freebies and deals at every booth after I picked up my packet. in addition to my bib and official race tee (tangent - I really love the Brooks tees that the R&R Series gives out - the designs have been great for both Philly and USA, and they're quite comfy for every day wear and running) I came away with info on a bunch of local races over the next year, a pair of new Sparkly Soul headbands (in rainbow and Redskin colors), and a pint glass with the R&R USA logo on it for my celebratory beer. Mom and I grabbed dinner before she dropped me off at home to lay out my gear and hit the sack.
Crack of dawn pre-race selfie with my best friend.
Early Saturday morning, I jumped in the car with my best friend, Allie, who was surprisingly excited to be up at the crack of dawn to see me off at the start line, and cheer me on along the way. We found a parking space downtown, and made sure to make our way past the start line before finding bag check, port-o-potties, some touristy photo ops on the National Mall, and (eventually) my starting corral.

Great excuse for tourist-y photos in my hometown!
The race started, and off we went. I maintained a fairly easy pace, with the goal to stay energized for the duration. One of the biggest issues I had with running this race in the city where I train, was that I knew the territory. I found myself dreading the big hill at Mile 6 for the entire first half of the race - I just couldn't shake what I knew was coming!

Fortunately, the biggest upside of running a local race was the fact that my friends could come out and cheer me on. Allie left me at the start to hustle to the other side of the startline to wave and film my first steps. She then met me for hugs and encouragement at Miles 4 and 7 (before getting horribly lost with all of the road closures so she missed me at the finish). I gotta say, hearing her scream at me was amazing - especially when it was a milemarker I didn't expect her at!

At Mile 4, just about to head into Rock Creek Park. I think I nearly knocked her over with this hug :)
Rachel was also cheering loudly, cowbell in hand, around Mile 4, and at the tippity top of that dreadful Mile 6 hill stood Andrew and our friend Bedlam. I was so tuckered out at the top of that hill, but coming up over the crest and seeing them standing there made me kick it into gear and sprint the last few meters to get a big hug.

Spotted by Allie around Mile 7, with my buddy Sherill in pink in the background!
With The Hill behind me, I kept on trucking through the DC neighborhoods I know and love. I had a blast running past the adorable, colorful row houses, as well as through some neighborhoods I only know for their night life. There were people hanging out on their porches, offering up free beverages of choice (I saw signs for Guinness, margaritas, Natty Lite, and sangria - it was a drunk runner's dream!). Being St. Patrick's Day weekend, folks were all definitely out for a good time.

My feet are BOTH off the ground! Running past some of my favorite row houses in Columbia Heights, having a blast.
By the time I got to Columbia Heights (sometime between 7 and 8), I was really feeling fatigued in my untrained legs. Fortunately for me, I spotted my friend Ric on the sidelines, and ran over to say hello. Ric, it turned out, had other plans in mind, and had come to run with me for a few miles! I couldn't have been happier to have a buddy - and to be honest, he's definitely the one who kept me running for the next few miles. I would have been walking much more than I wanted to without his company. We jogged along as he encouraged me to make it to the next stop sign or landmark, chatting about the buildings and streets we passed by. As we made the turn down North Cap, with the Capitol Building in sight, Ric turned off to run home, and I was alone again to finish what I had started.

Running solo and determined, finish line in sight.
At this point, it was just a mental game, telling myself that I was so close to the end. I ran down H Street, alongside the Trolley car tracks and past more of Andrew's and my favorite late night spots. Then finally, we turned toward RFK Stadium, where the finish line, my parents, and Andrew were waiting for me. Down the finishers shoot I went for the last few meters, picking up the pace and finishing strong. Sure enough, I crossed the finish line and spotted Andrew waiting with my parents, bouquet in hand for me! After hugs, we parted ways as Andrew and I made our way to his football game, where I basked in the sun, had the most delicious beer I've ever drunk, and cheered on his team.

Finishing like a rockstar!
Overall, I enjoyed this race. The on-course support from the Rock & Roll Series was, as always, excellent. The medal was spectacular - one of my favorites, with the Washington Monument and some Cherry Blossoms. The course itself was interesting, but definitely a challenge with so many hills - the dreaded Mile 6 hill, but also some smaller ones along the way. I'd certainly be up for running it again, but with way more hill repeats in my training plan. The weather was perfect - March in DC can mean anything from a foot of snow on the ground to 70 and sunny, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it perfect shorts and t-shirt running weather.




No comments:

Post a Comment